401 Auth Error: Stale Nonce

Popadic

After 20 minuts line cut.

Hello, I connect SIP provider line and work perfectly except that line cut every 20 minutes.

On wireshark I have this message error. I try on different swyxware from 2011 until 2015 r2.

255492 1231.003578000 217.195.31.129 192.168.200.105 SIP 575 Status: 401 AUTH error: stale nonce |

Apparently swyxware try to authenticate the line even if communication is established and the provider ask me to put it off. But I have no idea how to do.

Any idea ?

• Most Valued User

Hello,

Could it be that you register to an Asterisk based platform and you use multiple registrations? (Like 10 registrations for a 10 number block and for each number one registration)?

Because that is where I know the error from....

If not I would need the full wireshark trace to give you a proper answer.

Regards,

Remco

• Most Valued User

This seems to be a bug in the Swyx code.

AFAIK this is what happens:

When the initial call is made, your PBX authenticates itself to the server (217.195.31.129).  When it does, the server sends a random string (nonce) that is used to generate the MD5 hash that is used for authentication.  During the call, the Swyx server sends an UPDATE messages every 45 seconds to the server to ascertain that the call is still ongoing.  In these messages it re-uses the previously sent nonce to generate the hash.  It seems that the server is configured only allow this re-use for 20 minutes.  After it sends the 401 message it is expecting to receive another UPDATE using the nonce that was included in the 401.  When that doesn't happen, it hangs up (or it might be that the update timer expired).

Or, that at least is my take on this.  I'd contact Swyx support and see what they say.

Regards,

Hörður

Archived