Use Sip-Provider Without Sip-Trunk

Christian

• Most Valued User

Dear All,

One of our UK employees is using a voip-provider who does not support SIP-trunking. That means, that they simply provide the server address and SIP-credentials to logon with any SIP-Client.

Now the question, is it possible to integrate such a gateway? Either as SIP-Gateway, SIP-User or whatever? I would like the Swyx Server to act as the SIP-Client/forward this functionallity to SwyxIt.

Porting the number to a SIP-Trunk-Provider would just be the 2nd option...

Many thanks,

Christian

• Most Valued User

SIP Trunking (in our Swyx' horizon here) basically means nothing else than a connection established via SIP which can transport at least one "traditional" telephone number.

What exactly you mean, when stating that they "don't support SIP trunking" gets not clear to me.

You've got user+password and an IP you can register to. If this SIP connection carries telephone numbers it is a SIP trunk and will be configured like any SIP trunk in Swyxware.

Create a trunkgroup, configure the needed parameters like registrar IP, SIP realm and so on.

After that create a trunk using that trunkgroup where you set username/password and the telefon numbers which get routed over that trunk.

Maybe there will be some more work tbd, especially when there's no preconfigured trunking profile. e.g. configuring the correct number format or in worst case scenarios creating a custom providerprofiles.xml to be able to set where your provider transport calling and caller numbers, but that needs a lot of debugging, esp. when that provider does not deliver any support at all.

• Most Valued User

Ignore my question, just had misunderstanding.

I thought there is a difference between providing a SIP-line for a softphone/sip phone and providing a sip-trunk to connect to a phonesystem ipbx.

Basically, I should be able to connect to every Voip provider, who provides SIP, right?

many thanks!

• Most Valued User

Basically, I should be able to connect to every Voip provider, who provides SIP, right?

Exactly.

But you may face some serious trouble to get "uncertified" providers running. At least you'll need in depth know how about SIP and in debugging Swyx LinkMgr traces,

because SIP and it's correlating protocol componenets have so much "could, should, may,..." sentences in the RFCs.

Archived