Poll - Are your end customers using STUN with their SIP-trunks

Dernis

Are your end customers using STUN with their SIP-trunks?

Please go here to vote:

http://goo.gl/x1YrMm

Please leave any comments in this thread.

Did you know that SwyxWare's LinkMgr does not support DNS SRV for STUN?

This means that LinkMgr cannot failover to another STUN-server if the current STUN-server becomes unavailable.

The result is that the SIP-trunk will go down.

LinkMgr has support for DNS SRV when it comes to SIP-trunks.

But this does not help when you have activated STUN on the SIP-trunk.

8 minutes ago, Virikas said:

Just put your STUN server behind a load balancer (identified by an A record) and you won't need an SRV record ;)

Why should the Swyx Distributor/Reseller or end customer have to create their own STUN service in this maner when the provider/carrier already have several STUN-servers available and published via DNS SRV-records?

If LinkMgr supported DNS SRV for STUN - then the SwyxWare Distributor/Reseller or end customer could create their own list of public STUN-servers using DNS SRV-records.

This would be much easier than hosting and running your own STUN servers as suggested.

LinkMgr already supports DNS SRV for SIP-trunks, why is this not also implemented for STUN?

2 minutes ago, Virikas said:

I'd assume that this is an hen and egg problem.;)

So you might file a feature request towards swyx.

Well, I do not like using STUN in the first place - since it's yet another source for potential failure and adds unessary overhead (classic stun messaging).

The whole problem with SIP not natively supporting NAT-T could easaly be solved if there was a way to just tell LinkMgr about the public IP-address. So LinkMgr will replace the private IP-address in SIP/SDP with the public one before sending it off to the provider (in the same way LinkMgr does this when activating STUN. However - port does not need to be replaced, only the IP-address).

All you have to do then, besides telling LinkMgr about the public IP-address, is to create two portforwarding rules in your firewall that allows incoming traffic from your provider to:

* SIP port 65002

* RTP 55000-56000

Problem solved and it will work with every provider - even thoose that do do offer STUN or SBC with NAT-T support.

This is the feature I really want for the LinkMgr.

Comments?

:)

PS.

This solution will however not work for customers with a DHCP address from their ISP.

Thoose customers still needs to rely on either STUN or provider with an SBC supporting NAT-T.

All our customers have static IP's since we only work with medium and large companies.

• 8 months later...

I agree with Dernis - Some other PBXs that I have worked with give options to manually set the public IP address, negating the need for STUN. I would also say that I have encountered many STUN related problems over nearly 10 years of using Swyx with SIP trunks. removing the need for this would make life a lot simpler. I do feel that allowing optional manual entry of public IP in Swyx server trunk settings would be a big improvement.

Archived