Broken Audio Between Sites (Swyx Link)

KeZz

Hi All,

I have a strange issue i am finding difficult to pin down. Unfortunately the two affected sites are using Swyx 2013 so Swyx an unwilling to help.

I have a client who has two sites connect via a swyxlink. When a call is made between those two site you get a broken audio to the tpoint where you cannot make out any conversation. This affect calls both ways.

I cannot see any issues with the link and the link has worked for many years with no configuration issues.

Wireshark shows RTP going both ways and the network team have checked and no audio is being blocked or packets lost.

The client had a similar issue between two other site to site links and this was resolved by re-creating the link which we have already tried in this case.

Anyone had a similar issue before and can provide assistance? I can provide traces if needed.

Kind Regards

Keri

• Most Valued User

In a setup like this

User A <--> Swyx A <--> SwyxLink <--> Swyx B -<-> User B

the Audio Part should normaly get routed directly from User A <-> User B.

Did u doublecheck all IP routing entries and do you see the RTP audio on both users A&B via wireshark?

Hi Virikas,

in the case user B is a Swyxit! signed in on the server of one of the affected sites. if i run wire shark locally and on the server both show the RTP going both ways and contain packets etc.

wireshark attached.

Konecranescapture.PNG

• Most Valued User

A simple SIP trace (without any kind of information where this is from and which partners are shown) does not help.

The question is whether you see RTP packets on both audioendpoints (aka users A&B) in both directions.

If you see these packets: Is there any reordering, jitter (>10-20ms) or packetloss involved?

Additionally: Is it a plain routed scenario or is there any NAT/PAT/Firewall with active SIP ALG active?

Hi Virikas,

Thank you for your input. Answers to your questions below:

Yes we can see RTP on from endpoints in the traces. Wireshark is showing a mean jitter of 1.59 MS with no packet loss at all.

strangely however i listen to the audio stream on wireshark i get NO AUDIO at all. as aposed to the broken audio i heard an a user.

there is a firewall that sites between sites however this is managed by the clients external IT support so we have no knowledge of the NAT/PAT etc. 

they have confirmed they can see the packets traversing and no packets are being dropped which is why i believe this to be a Swyx issue rather than network.

as advised the client had the issue previously with two other sites connected via a Swyxlink and the issue was resolved by re-creating the link however that did not work in this instance.

• Most Valued User

If there are packets and you don't get audio out of them that might be an encryption problem. e.g.because of a larger time difference between the two clients.
If activated you should try to disabled encryption on for the two involved clients (just for the test).

Archived