Using One Faxnumber For A Group Of Analog Port And Swyxfax

schuetze

Dear you,

on vintage telephone Systems I use a construction, where I assign the central fax number of a Company(published in marketing material etc.) to a parallel huntgroup.
This Group contains an analog port(FX) for the analog fax device and a number of Faxserver, which may be connected to an ISDN-Port
The analog fax device is configured to catch the call after 5 ring times. Usualy the Fax Server gets the call, because he is quick enough.
Once the Fax Server doesn´t work, the old fax device will do this Job.  

The first Problem, I have with Swyxware - I cant add a faxnumber to a huntgroup - or just didn´t found it :-(

My second Problem is, that I cant assign a public number, which is given to SwyxFax as alternative number to an Analogport-User 

Once, the customer use the old fax device - it signals the wrong numer to the communication Partner.

Did someone solve these Problems and is so kind to share his solution with me ?

Thank you very much
Ulf Schütze

• Most Valued User

Problem 1: I do not Understand what you want. Analogue fax should be backup in case the fax server crashes, right? But now the fax server is included into Swyx (not a separate machine like it seems to be in the past). Of course it can crash, but I guess it will not be only the SwyxFax-service that is offline, but the whole Swyx machine/services. And if so, a hunt group within the Swyx to route the calls to your fax machine might also be affected.

Problem 2: Don't care about the external number of the fax ports. Nobody takes a look on the caller id of a fax. The only thing everybody looks on is the is you configure in the fax-machine ("Absenderkennung"). And this is totally independent from the "real" phone number on Swyx side,

• 2 weeks later...

Dear Jodhost,

thank you very much for your opinion.

Point 1:

It sounds logical and a little bit depressing. No backup szenario for Fax Server Crash  - OK

We realised allready, that Fax becomes more and more difficult and hope, that our customers will realise it to and swap to email   

Point 2:

unfortunally I expirienced it complete the other way - Special, when I use Faxserver (GFi) - but - may be that was by mistake - I´ll monitor this in next projekt and hope you are rigth

Point 3:

You think, there is no way, to assign the public number, which is given to SwyxFax as alternative number to an Analogport-User ?

kindly regards Ulf

Archived